Due to some new (to us) furniture and other items, our master bedroom has been getting a makeover and finally looking like a master bedroom rather than something thrown together! I've got a few more things to finish before posting about it but I wanted to post about the headboard we made. I love it! Thanks to my handy husband for going along and getting it made for me. He's a tutorial for anyone that's interested in making this.
First of all, make sure you have some cute little helpers riding their bikes in the garage while you work. It works best if they're going under the headboard and all around you as you work. Definitely speeds things up!
I missed getting pictures of steps so hopefully pictures help explain things. We were given an old door from some friends that had definitely seen better days. We got some bead board paneling at Home Depot and had them cut it for us. Then it was glued to the door and then nailed in the edges to hold it on good. If any of the paneling stuck out past the door, he cut it after it was glued on the door so it would be the exact size. In the picture above my husband was using some wood that was 2 1/2" by 3/4". He mitered the ends and screwed it on to the 3 sides of the door using a countersink screw so it wouldn't stick up above the wood.
You can see better here what he did with the trim around the sides. Next he used baseboard or some other trim. After mitering the corners, he put it along the bead board edge next to the trim. He used brads to hold this in place since it wasn't going to be holding anything. Make sure when you do the trim around the edge of the door, it's tall enough to stick out past your trim moulding and to look like part of it. To do that we measured a door width at Home Depot and measured the thickest part of the trim.
You can see better here what the corners looked like. Looks pretty dang good if I do say so myself!
To attach it to the bed he took some 1x3 board we had and found solid parts in the door to screw it to it. He also took some styrofoam and cut it to fit on the boards so our wall doesn't get scratched.
Once he was done, I painted it. Everything we bought and used was already primed white so it only took one coat for the most part. There was a couple of parts where the paneling had been sanded to make the two pieces match up like one and that took a little more work. We had gotten some free paint during one of the Clark and Kensington free paint Saturdays at Ace Hardware. We didn't have plans for it at the time so we got a white and have since used it on a dresser I repainted for our daughter, and now the headboard. And we still have some left!
I hope everything makes sense on what to do. If you have any questions you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I'll work on getting our room done and post before and after pictures of it. We've scored some deals that helped a ton to get it looking great! I'll tell you about all of it when it's done.